Welcome to the CERN Summer Student Webfest 2012!
Bringing Science to the Modern Web
From 5:30pm, Friday August 3 - 6:00pm Sunday August 5, 2012
Main Auditorium, upstairs from Restaurant 1, Building 500.
The Webfest is about bringing science to the web, and showing everyone what we are up to at CERN.
Only CERN Summer Students and CERN staff (basically anyone with a CERN badge) may participate in the Webfest.
How will it Work?
Participants (that's you!) will create or join a project team, and work with that team for the duration of the weekend.
A project can be anything about sharing science on the web. It might be a way to communicate ideas, visualize a dataset, or even recruit help! If you have an idea you're excited about, you should create a project. And if you are interested in seeing what others have proposed, then you can browse all the other projects.
Q: But, I don't know how to code!
That's ok! The Webfest is about using the web to share, and programming is only one part of that. There's lots of projects that don't involve programming. And several other projects that will involve a combination of programmers and non-programmers.
Q: But, I don't have any ideas!
No worries! We have some resource for you below, to help you think about project ideas. You can also check out the projects already suggested. These might give you a new idea, or you might get excited to contribute to that project. Either one is ok! There are also going to be mentors available at the event, to give you advice if you want, and answer any questions about how to accomplish your goals.
How to Participate
- Create an account. creating an account will let you edit this wiki.
- Browse the existing projects and ideas
- If you want, create a new project by cloning the project template.
- If you propose a project, you will have to give a 5 minutes talk about your project or idea.
- Or idea using the idea template.
- Add your name to one or more projects that interest you, by editing that wiki page and adding your name.
The break-down of the event is as follows:
- Friday 5:30pm: Welcome & Networking
- Friday 6:00pm - 8:00pm: project pitches
- Saturday 9:00am - Sunday 4:00pm: Projects
- Sunday 4:00pm - 6:00pm: Project presentations, prizes and pose for some pics!
- Mozilla technologies
- P2P University
- PyBossa: the open source crowdsourcing platform
- Volunteer Computing with BOINC
We will insert (more) cool resources about the open web here :)
Join the conversation!